The University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Palmetto Health Richland, and Greenville Health System are committed to providing equal consideration to all applicants regardless of race, color, ethnic and national origin, religion, sex, age or marital status. Admission is competitive. Students are chosen on the basis of their academic record, employment history and performance, character, and general fitness for the study of nurse anesthesia.
Students admitted to the Masters of Nurse Anesthesia Degree Program are selected by an Admissions Committee composed of faculty from the University of South Carolina School of Medicine, clinical coordinators, and nurse anesthesia students. The Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs has set a maximum class size of 31 students for our Program each year. The program processes approximately 120 applications per admissions cycle. Applicants must apply to the Graduate School of the University of South Carolina in order to be processed by the Admissions Committee.
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing from an CCNE-accredited Nursing program (Associate in Science Degree Nursing graduates with a Bachelor of Science degree in a basic science qualify for admission if prerequisite courses in Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology and Chemistry are completed). A Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale is needed to be competitive. Competency based Nursing Programs where curriculum does not generate a GPA will not qualify applicants for admission.
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in one of the 50 states; South Carolina licensure is required by matriculation if licensure is not a part of the Nurse Licensure Compact.
- A Graduate Record Exam score of at least 300 is needed to be competitive.
- A minimum of one year (full-time) critical care nursing experience prior to the acceptance deadline of June 15. Current, ongoing Intensive Care Unit experience is preferred (Emergency Room Experience does not meet the ICU requirement).
- Letters of recommendation from two health care professionals who have supervised clinical experience
- Current resume or Curriculum Vitae
Graduate Program in Nurse Anesthesia